“Beautiful house in a lovely location !”
Scotland through the Old Course at St Andrews is recognised throughout the world as the 'Home of Golf'. we are rightly proud of this heritage which dates back to an early record of golf being played as far back as 1400AD. in the 19th century the game grew in popularity and became a way of life for many local people. we also have a high profile in world golf. This is reinforced through hosting world class golfing events, such as the Ryder cup at Gleneagles in 2014. Scotland also have 5 of the 9 Open championship venues, St Andrews, Muirfield, Carnoustie, Royal Troon and Turnberry.
There are courses for all levels of ability.
Central and South West Scotland now contain over 200 golf courses !
Your local golf courses are within 10 minutes of your holiday accommodation are Strathaven Golf Club, Loudoun Gowf Club (yes, spelt correctly !!) and Broadlees Golf.
Broadlees Golf is a driving range and 9 hole golf course which caters for all ages and abilities and can usually be easily booked.
Although Troon, Turnberry and Prestwick are British Open Courses, there are many other links and parkland courses to suit the preferences and ability of everyone.
Although every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on this web site is accurate we have relied on various other sources to formulate this list. Drumboy Lodge is perfectly situated on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire borders which makes it a good base to golf all over Scotland.
Drumboy Lodge is situated on the Lanarkshire border with Ayrshire which has some of the finest golf courses in Scotland. All a 'stones throw' from your holiday cottage.
Here are some of the courses and a short description, in alphabetical order.
- considered one of the world's finest golf courses. 18 holes 6,976 yards 96,440 yard medal tees), par 70 (69 medal).
- a great links course. Undulating greens, glorious fairways and fantastic ocean holes, overlooking the island of Arran.
- parkland. Considered to be a true championship course. Only two par holes less than 400 yards.
- parkland. Quite a new course within a sheltered valley.
- parkland. Only 5,064 yards with a par of 64. Five of it's eight par 3 holes are 200 yards +.
- links. has been used as a final qualifying course.
- links. A championship venue with loads of gorse. Only 14 holes that are links with the back four holes being more parkland.
- links. Fantastic sea views. Gorse. The 13th is a good par 4 with wind coming in from the sea. The 18th has a quarry water hazard protecting a sunken green.
- links. 12 hole course on the Isle of Arran. Well worth the short ferry crossing from Ardrossan.
- parkland. Marvellous views and greens.
- links. Looks over the Firth of Clyde. Very windy.
- links. Good municipal course. Flat but lined with gorse bushes.
- parkland. Municipal course. A short but challanging course with tight greens and difficult bunkers.
- links. The best and longest municipal course in Troon. Par of 74 close to Royal Troon course and used as an Open qualifier course for several years.
- offers some of the best links golf in the world.
- links. challenging course on the Solway Firth. Windy.
- parkland. On the shores of Loch Ryan. Fantastic scenery which you will always remember.
Central Scotland hosts stunning courses in Loch Lomond ( home to the Barclays Scottish open) along with Buchanan Castle, Hilton Park, Westerwood and Glenbrevie. Windyhill in Bearsden is another great course along with Muckhart, Dollar and Grangemonth.
Haggs Castle on Glasgow's southside is one of the city's finer challenges and has been host to a number of professional and amateur tournaments through the years. East Renfrewshire and East Kilbride are other great courses that are not to be ignored.
The nearest driving range is about 10 minutes drive away from your holiday cottage. It is called Broadlees and is in Chapelton, near Strathaven.
The nearest golf shop is in Strathaven, on Strathaven golf course.
All courses and telephone numbers are listed in the information book contained in the Lodge, however, if you would like any information on a specific golf course, we would be only too happy to oblige.
Please remember to telephone the course to check availability before setting out. Most golf courses can be extremely busy and they may have restricted visitor times.